Session 9 - Substance Use Communication
The primary focus of this session is on:
- Provide information and building skills for preventing or reducing substance use and abuse.
- Promote social competence with regard to avoiding or reducing substance use.
The particular emphasis will be on:
- Building positive family communication and refusal skills regarding substance abuse.
- Identifying ways to have fun without using tobacco, drugs or alcohol.
Knowledge –Attitudes –Skills Expected
At the end of this session participants will be able to:
- 1. Discuss the short- and long-term negative health effects of using alcohol and marijuana.
- 2. Demonstrate positive communication skills when discussing family values and expectations about adolescent risky behaviors and fathers as role models.
- 3. Feel comfortable discussing issues related to substance use and abuse.
- 4. Recognize the important part that fathers play as role models of positive health behaviors for their sons and vice versa.
- Affirmation & Meditation
- PowerPoint Presentations:
- Substance Use Prevention for Fathers
- Substance Use Prevention for Sons
- Family Communication Exercise
- Family Mission Statement
- PALA+ Physical Activity and Nutrition Log #1
- Fathers and Sons Letters
- PALA+ Physical Activity and Nutrition Log #2
- Facilitator Script for PowerPoint Slides (Substance Use Prevention for sons and Substance Use Prevention for fathers)
- Handouts of presentations
- Script for Fathers Substance Use Prevention
- List of Community Resources
- Chalkboard or Flip Chart
- Quick Overview of Today’s Session (5 minutes)
- Check-In (10 minutes)
- Activities (85 minutes)
- AFfirmation & Meditation (10 minutes)
- Sharing Pictures and Discussion (Sons) (20 minutes)
- PowerPoint Presentations for Sons and Fathers on Substance Use Prevention (40 minutes)
- Family Communication Exercises (35 minutes)
- Homework Assignment (5 minutes)
- Closing Summary (5 minutes)
- Check-Out (10 minutes)
Activities and Handouts
Lesson 9 - Fathers and Sons - © 2022