Session 6 - Fathers and Sons Having Their Say
The primary focus of this session is to:
- Find out what has been helpful about the program and what challenges may need to be addressed.
- Reinforce what has been learned and determining content areas that need strengthening.
- Identify additional issues or challenges that fathers and sons are facing external to the program that may be interfering with their progress with program activities.
- Help fathers and sons select a community service project as an opportunity to give back to the community and bond with one another.
The particular emphasis will be on:
- Creating an environment that allows participants to feel comfortable sharing their feelings and experiences.
- Mapping out strategies for solutions to challenges identified during the session.
- Documenting the experiences of fathers and sons in the program through qualitative data collection appropriate for the process evaluation of the program.
- Demonstrating the value of community service and assisting fathers and sons as they prepare for a volunteer opportunity.
Knowledge –Attitudes –Skills Expected
At the end of this session participants will be able to:
- 1. Express their feelings about the program.
- 2. More readily identify ways to begin to solve some of the challenges identified during the session.
- Feel more comfortable claiming ownership of the program.
- Identify volunteer opportunities in the Chicago area and participate in a community service activity.
- Fathers and sons rap session:
- Topics to be discussed include:
- Benefits of the program
- Areas for improvement
- Next steps in the program
- Issues they are facing
- Planning a Community Service Activity
- Discussion: Evolution of Technology
- PowerPoint Presentations:
- Evolution of Technology Trivia
- Using Technology to Stay Connected
- Do you know the Texting Lingo?
- Work on Memory Book
- Rap Session Guide
- Pencils / Pens
- Flip Chart
- Community Service Activities Handout
- Tape Recorder
- Quick Overview of Today’s Session (5 minutes)
- Check-In (10 minutes)
- Activities (85 minutes)
- Fathers and Sons Rap Session (55 minutes)
- Planning Community Service Activity (30 minutes)
- Closing Summary (5 minutes)
- Check-Out (10 minutes)
Activities and Handouts
Lesson 6 - Fathers and Sons - © 2022