Session 8 - Parenting Behaviors and Social Networks
The primary focus of this session is on:
- Utilize parents as role models.
- Discuss parent-child expectations.
- Identify personal relationships and social support.
- Identify community resources and social support.
The particular emphasis will be on:
- Discussing the importance of fathers as role models.
- Determining father-son expectations for the future.
- Identifying important people in the son’s life and discussing the nature and functions of these relationships, especially as they relate to health risk and protective behaviors.
- Determining what types of support fathers have and/or need to help them enhance their relationship with their sons.
- Discussing available community and institutional support to assist fathers in supporting their families.
Knowledge –Attitudes –Skills Expected
At the end of this session participants will be able to:
- 1. Articulate the importance of fathers as role models.
- 2. Identify relevant personal/family expectations related to substance use, violent behavior and early sexual initiation.
- 3. Identify important people in each other’s lives.
- 4. Discuss the nature and function of these particular relationships.
- 5. Become aware of both informal and formal support available to help fathers and sons strengthen their relationships in the community.
- Affirmation & Meditation
- Sharing Homework Pictures
- Family Role Reversal Play Activity
- Social Networks Activity
- Family Tree Activity
- Family Mission Statement
- Picture Taking
- Role play scripts
- Family tree diagrams, instructions and art boxes
- Social network diagrams and instructions
- Flipchart or chalkboard to draw and complete concentric circles
- Quick Overview of Today’s Session (5 minutes)
- Check-In (10 minutes)
- Activities (85 minutes)
- AFfirmation & Meditation (10 minutes)
- Sharing Pictures and Discussion (Sons) (20 minutes)
- Family Role Play (Fathers and sons) (15 minutes)
- Social Networks Activity (Sons with fathers’ assistance) (15 minutes)
- Breakout Session (20 minutes)
- FATHERS–Social Network Activity “Community and Institutional Support”
- SONS–Family Tree Activity
- Homework Assignment (5 minutes)
- Closing Summary (5 minutes)
- Check-Out (10 minutes)
Activities and Handouts
Lesson 8 - Fathers and Sons - © 2022