Session 7 - Family Functioning and Parenting Behaviors
The primary focus of this session is on:
- Family values and responsibilities.
- Family roles and discipline strategies.
- Quality of parent-child relationships.
- Parental Involvement.
The particular emphasis will be on:
- Discussing the importance of fathers’ and sons’ values concerning risky behaviors, academic achievement and personal well-being.
- Identifying strategies for rule setting, monitoring, and discipline for non-resident fathers.
- Discussing the importance of warmth,caring, trust, and expectations in the parent-child relationship.
- Planning ways to be more involved in each others’ lives.
Knowledge –Attitudes –Skills Expected
At the end of this session participants will be able to:
- 1. Articulate important family values both generally and as related to selected health behaviors, academic
achievement, and well-being.
- 2. Identify strategies for enhancing nonresident fathers’ parenting behaviors, including rule setting,
monitoring, discipline and involvement.
- 3. Discuss what is important to sons concerning selected health behaviors and expectations for academic success and the future.
- Affirmation & Meditation
- Select an appropriate family movie to guide discussion
- Group Discussion
- Lion King movie or movie clips
- DVD player, TV and cart-or-laptop, box light and projector screen
- Discussion questions for movie
- Handout: Prenting Behviors and Skills Building (fathers)
- Quick Overview of Today’s Session (5 minutes)
- Check-In (10 minutes)
- Activities (85 minutes)
- AFfirmation & Meditation (10 minutes)
- Dinner and A Movie (50 minutes)
- Group Discussion (25 minutes)
- Parenting Behaviors and Skill Building Handout
- Homework Assignment (5 minutes)
- Closing Summary (5 minutes)
- Check-Out (10 minutes)
Activities and Handouts
Lesson 7 - Fathers and Sons - © 2022