Session 1 - Program Overview and Physical Activity
The primary focus of this session is to:
- Begin to build rapport among participants and project staff so that a foundation for benefiting from future intervention sessions may be possible
- Demonstrate the importance of safety and physical activity
The particular emphasis will be on:
- Discussing program and participant expectations.
- Promoting safety before, during and after recreation and sports.
- Father-son communication during physical activity.
Knowledge –Attitudes –Skills Expected
At the end of session one participants will be able to:
- 1. Articulate expectations for the Fathers and Sons Program.
- 2. Properly prepare physically and mentally before engaging in physical activity.
- 3. Sit-ups, push-ups, and running.
- Affirmation & Meditation
- Ice Breakers
- Discussion: Physical Activity Safety Tips and Strategies
- Stretching for Safety
- Endurance, Speed, and Strength Exercises
- "Let's Get Acquainted" Exercise
- PALA+ Physical Activity and Nutrition Log #1
- Program Folders
- Information Cards: Includes contact information of participants
- Project Camera: Staff member to take pictures of fathers and sons interactions with each other and program staff
- Sticky Notes for "Who Am I?" Ice Breaker
- Flip Chart / Markers or Chalkboard for "brainstorming"
- Handouts: Warm-Up and Stretching Exercises, PALA Log
- Log Sheets: for Endurance, Speed, and Strength exercises
- Stop Watches (2)
- Project Coordinator
- Project Assistant(s)
- Faciltator to teach curriculum
- Observer to record notes to evaluate the session
- Logistics (35 minutes)
- Introductions and Participants' Program Expectations (10 minutes)
- Description of Check-In/Check-Out Procedure (5 minutes)
- Overview of Program Folder (5 minutes)
- Roles and Responsibilities (10 minutes)
- Filling out Information Cards (5 minutes)
- Activities (95 minutes)
- Affirmations & Meditation (10 minutes)
- Ice Breakers (15 minutes)
- Health Promotion Discussion (10 minutes)
- Stretching for Safety (10 minutes)
- Endurance, Speed, and Strength Exercises (20 minutes)
- Homework Assignment (5 minutes)
- Closing Summary (5 minutes)
- Questions and Answers (5 minutes)
- Check-Out (5 minutes)
Activities and Handouts
Lesson 1 - Fathers and Sons - © 2022